Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Surviving Hockey after 40

For the last few years, I've been going to the gym down the street from work. I have no aspirations to become "huge" merely survive what I'm putting my body through.

I've played hockey for a little over 10 years now - not well...but I do play. It started as a bit of an addiction because I was learning quickly and the excercise was great. So I would play 3 or 4 times a week sometimes. It was a lot of fun with the guys at the time, but eventually it got to be a bit much, especially with how busy I was at work.

Now, my long term goal is to be able to continue playing for another 20yrs - so I've taken to investing some time into working out to keep me in shape to play. When there is serious talk about making sure the guys on the team know how to use a portable shock unit - you start to take heed.

So this is my workout......

March thru May - Strength Training
June thru Aug - Core Training with Cardio
Sept thru Nov - Cardio/Strength (by this time I'm playing twice a week)
Dec thru Mar - Core/Strength (still playing twice a week)

Strength Training (I try to get through this in a week - usually alternate between chest and arms from week to week if I dont get to everything).

Bench Press = 3 sets; 150lbs x 10 reps (ok - this one I'm working on)
Incline Bench= 3 sets; 180lbs x 10 reps
Chest Fly (Universal)= 3 sets; 90lbs x 12 reps

Single Leg Press = 3 sets; 260lbs x 12 reps
Calf Raises= 3 sets; 280lbs x 12 reps
Leg Extensions=3 sets; 100lbs x 12 reps
Leg Curls=3 sets; 100lbs x 12 reps

Leg lifts = 3 sets; 15 reps
Thera Ball sit up = 3 sets; 15 reps with 45lb plate
Ab Crunch (Universal) = 3 sets; 150lbs x 10 reps
Rotary torso (Universal)= 3 sets; 80lbs x 12 reps
V Sit Rotary Torso= 3 sets; 25lbs x 15 reps
Pike Ball Hand Off = 3 sets; 1 annoying ball **

Single Arm Curl = 3 sets; 35lbs x 10 reps
Curl Bar = 3 sets; 80lbs x 10 reps
Straight Bar = 3 sets; 75lbs x 10 reps

Tricep Pull Down = 3 sets; 90 lbs x 12 reps
Skull Crusher = 3 sets; 75lbs x 10 reps
Full Length Pull Overs = 3 sets; 20lbs x 10 reps
Overhead lift = 3 sets; 80 lbs x 10 reps

Lateral Pull Down (Universal) = 3 sets; 120lbs x 10 reps
Seated Low Row (Universal) = 3 sets; 110lbs x 10 reps
Seated Mid Row (Universal) = 3 sets; 150lbs x 10 reps


I use the CORE EXCELLENCE workout book when I get into the Core Training. It's a 13 week program that incorporates some weight training but a lot of "pre-emptive" care for balance and joint strength. If you think you're in shape - try this.....it was a shock to me, but now I use the excercises regularly.

For Cardio I've taken to the Eliptical or Stationary Bike - the treadmill is just too much pounding for me.

So far, as long as I keep the calorie intake up, it's not too bad. Since I started this serious workout, I have been able to avoid injury (knock on wood) and I seem to heal up from the games better.

So, this helps give me a bit of an edge when I'm playing. But it doesn't totally make up for lack of skill - it's nice to be the first one to the puck, I just wish I knew what to do once I got there.

No comments: