Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Ok - I know I'm not gonna be popular....but I HAVE to say this.

Ray Emery is not a $3.0 Million dollar a year goalie.

Don't get me wrong - he's got a lot of promise. Technically, he knows where to be on the ice and he's got a fast glove. Other than that, I think its been pure hype that has most fans convinced he is the "new hope".

Every guy I know who plays nets is saying the same thing. In a few years, he'll be a cornerstone, but not right now. He didn't "take" the team to the cup, he was along for the ride. He never stole a game. The Sens defense was so strong most nights, I think Philips and Volchenkov were blocking more shots than he was.

I still believe Gerber is a better goalie that had a slump. Emery was up, and they started to win (keep in mind some of the Shots On Net didn't get over 20 against for some games). A couple of buddies of mine saw Gerber during an open practice and told me how he dominated over Emery.

I think Emery's flamboyance, style and character is what people are in love with. I'm looking at his technique - he has no lateral movement and locks up too long when going into the butterfly.

Well, I guess we'll see where this goes next year.



1 comment:

Deb said...

Yeah, you knew I wouldn't agree! Truly great goalies are hard to find - I'm not really enamoured with anyone in the NHL except for Brodeur - they all look very mortal. Emery doesn't cave, and that's what I like about him - he always expects to win.